5.12.2010

The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems by William Dembski and Jonathan Wells

The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence In Biological Systems




I just finished reading The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence in Biological Systems by William Dembski and Jonathan Wells (which someone was kind enough to buy me from my Ministry Resource List!). This book was a joy to read! I’ve been following the Intelligent Design vs. Darwinism debate for a long time, and I’ve read a good number of books and countless articles and blog entries on the subject. So to be honest, I wasn’t expecting to glean a lot of additional insight from The Design of Life. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. My highlighter got a real workout with this book!

The Design of Life is essentially a textbook on Intelligent Design. Most of the resources I have read on the topic deal with a specific subject: Darwin’s Black Box looks at irreducible complexity as an indication of intelligence; Edge of Evolution examines the power of random mutation and natural selection to produce novel biological changes; Signature in the Cell examines the origin-of-life, etc. The Design of Life, however, is a more comprehensive look at ID. But don’t think “comprehensive” means it only provides a little information about a lot of topics. Not at all! I was quite impressed with the balance achieved between comprehensiveness and detail.

The book covers human origins, genetics and macroevolution, the fossil record, the origin of species, homology, irreducible complexity, specified complexity, and the origin of life. It even has a supplementary CD containing additional details on the topics covered in the book. If you are looking for a good, well-rounded book to learn more about the claims of and evidence for ID, I would highly recommend this book!

Jason Dulle, M.A. Exegetical Theology
Theosophical Ruminations


The Design of Life: Discovering Signs of Intelligence In Biological Systems

No comments:

Adversus Trinitas

"...unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins." (John 8:24 ESV)